Monday, November 9, 2009

Coupon Land

We've been buying the newspaper lately and receiving a LOT of coupon packets in the mail so I started clipping them and used one or two here and there. When I called my mom a few weeks ago she mentioned some things in the sales ad and I said, oh, I can't even read those things I don't know what I am looking for.
WELL.
This started a massive lesson. Last week before the Packers game (against the Vikings.. boo) I came over early and brought my coupons. She helped me match up the coupons to what was already on sale so I could get the best price. She said if you don't need something right away, wait for it to go on sale before you use your coupon up. So that was lesson #1, match your coupon to the sale and go to the store with the best sales going on. We went to the bar and watched the game with my dad and brother and then after 3 beers decided to go grocery shopping together so I could practice. haha. Learning to grocery shop a whole new way (instead of just picking out what we need) after 3 beers was HARD! haha. Anyways, that week I spent $136.44 and saved $117. (For reference, we usually spend $140 and save $20, so, BIG improvement)


The next week out, I did the coupons and most of the matching to the sales ad on my own, even though I did have to call her and ask a few questions and here is where I learned rules #2 and #3. Rule #2 ) You can use 1 store coupon and 1 manufacturer coupon together to increase savings. Rule #3) You can use 3 duplicate coupons as long as you follow the rules on each coupon (aka, if they each say save 30 cents on 1 can, and you have three, you have to buy three cans). Some things were better on sale at 1 store and some at another, so I split it up this week (something I don't usually do but the savings were more than the gas money so I did it). Here's how we did at the first store: Spent $137 and saved $89.52. Not bad! Still saving more than we used to and we got WAY more than normal. Which brings me to rule #4 and 5. Rule #4) Only stock up on things you have enough time to use up before they go bad. So, 10 boxes of mac and cheese, cool to stock up. 10 bunches of bananas? not a good idea unless you want a freezer full of bananas and 20 loaves of banana bread in your future.
Here's how we did at store #2, spent $69.00 and saved $78.43. WINNER! I saved more than I spent!! I also got a $30 turkey for only $9! Proud!! Ready for rule #6 and 7? I made these 2 up on my own and they are brilliant! Rule #6) Check www.coupons.com before you head out and print off last minute coupons for items on your list still needing coupons. Rule #7) Make one last ditch effort and visit brand name websites. I had a store coupon for $1 off batteries but I know theyre expensive so I went to www.energizer.com and printed off another $1! These also works for lots of other brand name items so it never hurts to click and print!
You're thinking.. yes Keri and Jason, but you've also spent LOTS on groceries in the past few weeks. Yes, we have. BUT we've stocked up for a year on some items. We also have, no joke, a full month of meals in the cabinets and freezers that only need produce or dairy when the time comes. SWEET. Add to that, we have half off the items that we need for our tailgate party AND half of the items we need for my parent's anniversary party! So we spent the same amount we normally spend but are 1 month ahead on groceries and have one-half of two parties bought and paid for, AWESOME!!
Just had to brag, we're awesome...




No comments:

Post a Comment