Monday, August 3, 2009

The mixing bowl!

I am a true addict of the Better Homes and Gardens Special Publications. Well they tricked me this time, they did a food magazine! It's called the mixing bowl and I guess there is a website, though I have not visited yet, http://www.mixingbowl.com/.



After a lot of failed recipes, I hit a couple of winners!



Pizza Bubble Bread:

1 tube of refrigerated biscuits, 10 count. [I tried to find just plain biscuits and I believe it was pilsbury that had them! The "can" was smaller than I was expecting it to be]

1/2 cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce [awesome way to use the last little bit from when I make Jason's spaghetti lunches]

1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese



Grease a 12-inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal [did not do]. Separate the biscuits; then snip or cut each biscuit into 4 peices [this really starts to add up] Place the pieces in a bowl with the sauce and toss to coat. Arrange dough pieces in an 8 inch circle in the pizza pan. [dont overlap] Sprinkle with the cheese and bake @ 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden.







Greens with dill dressing:

1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/4 cup plain yogurt

1 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon fresh dill

1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning

garlic powder, dash

4 cups mesclun or 2 cups mixed salad + 2 cups curly endive

1 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered

1 small yellow summer squash

1 small zucchini, thinly bias-sliced

1 cup fresh pea pods, haved crosswise.



For the dressing, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, milk, dill, lemon-pepper seasoning, and garlic poweder -- set aside. In a large bowl, combine your greens, muschroom, squash, zucchini, and pea pods. Toss to mix. Divide greens mixture among 4 salad plates [or lunch dishes to bring to work!]. Spoon dressing over greens. Garnish with fresh dill.







Szechwan Fried Turkey Tenderloins:

1/4 cup soy suace

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger [definitely use a SPOON to peel the ginger instead of a peeler!]

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon chili oil [I accidently used 1/2 but this made it spicy and we liked that]

4 turkey breat tenderloin steaks

1/2 cup all purpose-flour

2 tablespoon olive oil

1 thinly sliced green onions



In a large bowl combine the soy sauce, giner, sugar, and chili oil & set aside. Place each turkey steak between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet [or rolling pin! haha]. Remove plastic wrap [No, on second thought, just keep that in there and cook it.. kidding!]



Dip the turkey into the soy mixture, coat with flour. In a 12 inch skillet, cook turkey in hot oil over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink, turning just once. Sprinkle with green onions.



ding ding ding, winners!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment